Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Teaching

I've never thought about what it must be like for a teacher to grade but after today I think it is horrible. I have 3 classes of 35 and they each had one paper. It took me hours to finish partially because there were so many but I have another theory...Our University professors expected no spelling, grammar, syntax, or punctuation errors. The few that were present were easily marked. A teacher could breeze through a paper, grade on ideas, creativity and insight, make a quick comment and move on. My papers are composed with sentences that even a 3rd grader could not get away with. Once I pick up the paper I have to decipher what the mess of information means and somehow grade it as if it were a newspaper article. To make all of the corrections and re-word, punctuate, and compose English from their paper takes so much time and then I have to think of their ability compared with effort and topic idea to give them a grade. Something that is not even English can get a B or a C. It's too bad, but I'm expecting a lot from them.
I had one student write "Do you know Jesus Christmas?"** Another student wrote about how making out is "good for health" and went on to explain how it helps you burn calories when it is really passionate. Another student got a book of Chinese Proverbs and just wrote one after another to form paragraphs, and my favorite was the giant F on the bottom of a student's paper that just copied and pasted a Wikipedia article after several discussions on pledgerism. (eye-ahh) sound that we make in China that reflects exasperation.

**Selection from the article on Judaism: "Do you know Jesus Christmas? He is now believed to be a god by many people all over the world. He created Christianity. The book for this religion is called New Testament. The book for Judaism is called Old Testament. It is believed that the rout of the great religion Christianity is Judaism.
In ancient times, Jews lived in Palestine and founded the kingdom of Israel and Judah. Later, they were wiped out by Rome. Jews suffered great oppress in Egypt, and Moses led them out. Jews want to learn from Moses, he crested Christianity"-student
Apparently this student did do research and cited internet articles...so that's what my professors meant when they warned about internet article reliability.

3 comments:

Staci said...

WOW! At least it provides some entertainment for you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are looking at your work with a sense of humor. Its always good to look at the bright sice of life. nonie o

Anonymous said...

wait...every thing on wikipedia isnt true
That explains my grades