I met someone a few years ago on a dark night in the back of a Chinese restaurant in the dingy back streets of Hollywood. Most stories that begin this way have a very, very bad ending. I thought this one would too and scowled at Megan, my peppy redheaded friend that takes me on crazy adventures whether I like them or not. She locked her car and we headed in, got our hands stamped, and sat in the dimly lit room staring at the few others whose faces were illuminated by paper lanterns. A few minutes later an acoustic, wild picking and a soul-filled voice re-directed the ending of my story so that I enthusiastically met Trevor Davis with that rare indefinable “it” that made me voracious with nothing but support for his character, musical talent, faith, and authentic approachable charisma of a favorite stuffed animal.
I have a short attention span for music and an even shorter attention span for a specific artist (ipod ADD, scan on the radio, etc.). Megan remained a faithful fan, but not the “from afar creepy stalker”. She has the personality that penetrates every inner circle and has been friends with Trevor and his band for several years. This summer she met Trevor’s fiancé Heidi and attended their wedding. Friday night Heidi texted Megan and the three of us headed to the dark interiors of a gypsy artist’s den. The back corner booth is where I met Heidi, Fiona, a guy with a diamond nose ring, and Trevor (again).
While listening to soulful acoustic, sipping a smooth cappuccino, and trying my first crème Brule I enjoyed some of the most authentic friends –and we had just met! It was by far the most enjoyable, eclectic, creative evening I think I have ever spent --quite possibly as good as a meal in China shared between a French, Canadian, Australian, and American.
Do yourself a favor and meet Trevor. He really does extend himself through melody, tempo, and the far, unknown reaches of pitch. Admittedly he writes songs that he cannot play or sing just to challenge himself. Heidi is there too, although her voice is not audible. It is the spirit of their unity that makes his extension of himself so genuine. She seemed to be his little muse looking adorable, blonde, and ever so much like Gwyneth Paltrow in her role as Emma (my favorite movie).
They have that “it” and I cannot help but extend my support for them and Trevor’s music. Enjoy!
http://www.myspace.com/trevordavis
This is Megan (left) and another friend Emily (right):

Doesn't she look like a trouble maker?
No comments:
Post a Comment