Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"French" cooking with Noël

One benefit of being a graduate student is my schedule. I have to take French on T-TH at 12:00, so I have the morning available. But, lest I trick myself into thinking that available means five hours of free time, I've put myself on a schedule so that from 9-11 I study French. Today my French studies took a slight diversion; I decided to explore French cooking (not really, but it makes me feel better, and hey, the French are known for their culinary expertise! I've seen Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Julie and Julia).
I took advantage of the sunshine, birds chirping, and fresh lemons in my refrigerator and made lemon bars.


Courtesy of my iphone "monument"

My search for a recipe was extensive, but short. I have my sources, and my requirements: little butter, little sugar, fewer than 4 eggs, and a thin but flavorful lemon-y filling or custard (I don't know the proper word). Because these are the main ingredients in lemon bars I had to modify, but the base was a simple recipe:

Crust:
6 T. butter
1/4 C powdered sugar (I prefer that name to confectioner's sugar)
1 C flour
(my crust was dry so I added appx. 1/8 C warm water)

Press the shortbread crust into a round pie plate and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

Filling:
3 eggs
3/4 C sugar (it called for 1 cup, but I am not a fan of super sweet desserts -you could even cut back a little more)
1/4 C lemon juice (about 3 dry lemons. Dry lemons are grocery store lemons. Fresh from the tree lemons are more ripe and have a lot more juice)
1T. lemon zest
3T. flour
Whisk these until smooth, and pour over the hot crust. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.



**For a healthier, low-fat version you could add tofu, and wheat germ to the crust instead of butter and flour, and wheat grass juice with accai berry, garlic and parsley (for whatever they are good for). JUST KIDDING!!! Please don't.

Voila! That means (wait, let me look it up--seriously) "there are--." That seems incomplete. What if we went around declaring "There Are!"
Instead, I will leave you with: c'est finis! "It is finished." No, too much of a biblical allusion.
"Mange" Eat!
Oh, I give up! "Je donne --" well, that doesn't translate, so I really do give up.
Have a splendid day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C'est tout! Loosely translates to "That's all" It's amazing how much French I remember, when I sometimes can't remember what I did yesterday!
I really enjoy your blogs... Sarah T.