I received a small surprise in my mailbox, well, because my mailbox is more like a mail drop, it was tucked behind the fence. A mangled, square box, tossed in a mud puddle held a special surprise!
I had to laugh, because this is the scene into which it entered: I was ankle-deep in crumpled paper from printing my thesis (making mistakes and re-printing), mentally frayed from putting the last pieces together, frantic to get signatures from my thesis committee and the Dean (which meant 3-4 trips to campus per day. I'm cheap; I don't pay for a parking permit, so I parked 1 mile off campus and walked up hill, both ways, four times). And into this chaos I receive a tip to check my mail.
La la la, I left the printer doing its thing, eating paper, and spitting out the product of the past months of my life, traipsed down to the mail, and returned to unwrap this:
Okay, how cute! In this picture you will see that it is dressed, but the bunny came in its fuzzy little birthday suit, with a purple dress, bow, and pantaloons. What?!
My confusion was only overshadowed by joy that someone could know me so well, in fact, much better that I even know myself. I underestimate how adorable, soft, child-like joys, and the blessing of being thought-of mend my spirit when it is frazzled, a bit hopeless, and harried. Into this reality came the soft peace of reminders: I am loved, someone knows me, I am not only a scatterbrained academic, but a girl, who is soft, and meek, and delighted by simple, adorable things.
I LOVE my little pet, which I have yet to name, who sits in my car as a reminder of so many wonderful truths, each day a new one highlighted above the others.
This weekend my friend Megan was riding with me and found the bunny, wondering at first, "Uh, why do you have this in here?" But after I explained, she kind of laughed and proclaimed, "It's ears are so soft, and it's kind of cute," and then she and another girl laughed at its cloth tooth.
This morning, again, on my way to work, it kind of seemed to be a changing presence, that actually made me laugh as I saw it --so out of place, but an amazing interruption to my routine that made me consider just how inspired childhood, imagination, and toys can be. They may not literally come alive when we leave a room, as we have all wondered at one point in life, but they still have incredible presence, that is usually applied for the good.
Thanks Auntie (who wishes to remain nameless)! There may be further blogged adventures of the small frye.
Have a sweet afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment