"I can't bother to do anything whatsoever; I can't bother to walk --the effort is too great; I can't bother to lie down, for either I would lie too long, and I can't bother to do that, or I would get up at once, and I can't bother to do that either--I can't bother to go horseback-riding --the exercise is too strenuous for my apathy; all I can bother to do is ride in a carriage, comfortably, and, while being evenly rocked, let a multitude of objects glide past me, lingering over each lovely bit of scenery only to savor my languor--my thoughts and notions are as sterile as a eunuch's heat--in vain I seek something that might enliven me--not even the pithy language of the Middle Ages can overcome the void that pervades my being. Now I realize in truth what is meant by the saying about Christ's words, that they are life and spirit--in brief: I can't bother to write what I have just written, and I can't bother to blot it out."Packing and going on vacation has such an affect of lulling apathy. SK mimics (in many more words), my favorite literary character, Bartleby: "I would prefer not to." Speaking of Melville, I hope to read Moby Dick this week.
Friday, March 09, 2012
"I would prefer not to" -Bartleby
I'm leaving today for a very long trip, so I don't have the energy to feel and process much at the moment in the way of philosophy. So, I'll leave you with a funny excerpt from Søren's diary. How's that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment