Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If I had Lucy's mind


Good Afternoon.
I am a little "high" if I can use that word non-offensively on mint m&m's (my jar is now only half full), edamame beans, and I Love Lucy...cleaning products too since I've been touching up on my housework.
My days off seem to be full of interesting combinations of food and activities. The reason is because I don't buy "heat up" food and if there aren't left overs I eat what I see for lunch and when I take a day off from teaching I glut myself on all of the things that I wish I could do when I'm at work. Let's see...I straightened my hair (not something I take the time to do at 5:30 every morning), I organized my whole little house again, watched I Love Lucy, looked at some patterns and made plans for sewing, watered my balcony garden, and opened all of my doors and windows to warm, freshen, and light the inside of my house.
As I worked I came to the conclusion that going to work is a lot more work than working at home. If I were confined to Lucy's era I would drive myself crazy and probably decide to have kids just to give me something to do. I find that I can keep my house very clean, organized, and un-cluttered with just about an hour a day and one really deep clean once a week. No wonder she and Ethel resorted to scheming to keep themselves busy. I wonder what most of you think. Would you prefer to be homemakers 24-7?
After watching the complete 9 seasons almost consecutively I realized that Lucy is classic because she thinks something and does it. Her actions and ideas are so often unchecked that when her house ends up full of chickens or she decides to steal John Wayne's footprints, somehow this isn't unexpected to a real fan of the show. I began wondering what it would take to be this way and what the consequences would be.
Today it would have meant wearing my 1920's dresses out in public and speaking with a British accent, I would have strewn all of Patrick's clean clothes about the house just to make him walk around looking for them. I probably would have dumped glitter in the flower beds since I was thinking it would make them look inhabited by fairies, and I would have expected Patrick to bring me home some flowers or throw a surprise party for me because he was a little late coming home from work. Now, would that make me a more interesting person or more rediculous? I think both. Maybe I'll work on a compromise and see what impulses I have tomorrow that I actually follow through with.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Just wait until you have a house (rather than an apartment) and a child! Then you'll change your mind about work vs. housework! It's MUCH harder to get everything done at home than at work! I feel like I'm NEVER caught up! I would LOVE to be a SAHM (stay at home mom) 24/7 and be able to actually have more time for my house and family!

Oh...and I get up at 3:50 am and still take time to straighten my hair! lol Of course it only takes me about 5 minutes.