Saturday, January 05, 2008

January

When I haven't posted for a while I feel anxiety toward my blog and I just feel like clearing everything. I get frustrated visiting blogs that I've seen over and over (I know bloglines would eliminate this happening, but I only check about four every few days.) When I am the one not updating I'm just reminded that I'm frustrating myself and that I don't really have anything to say so I avoid my page between posts. Does anyone else do this?
Anyway, I love January.
I was the kid that hated school. I spent about 1/8 of the start of every elementary school day in tears. January-May were the months that represent the non-crying school mornings. January meant that school was almost over --several school holidays, spring break, and then a bunch of year end activities and field trips.
January is like a clean slate, white, fresh, and a new beginning. I surprise myself that I don't take an interest in New Year's resolutions, but I guess every few days I make resolutions so when January comes it's just part of my "another day another resolution" philosophy.
November and December this year (well last year technically) were like a long hike up hill. So many things were in disarray and uncomfortable. I couldn't wait for January and by golly the past days have been wonderful. For the first Saturday Patrick and I weren't running out to capitalize on some pre or last minute holiday shopping or to take advantage of our new southern california neighborhood. Today we rode our bikes to the doughnut shop, made a grocery list, lingered over books this afternoon, went grocery shopping, made some chili, read books at Starbucks, and relaxed in the spa. Today we lived where we live instead of toured where we live.
Maybe it should just be January all year long.

2 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

craigjames said...

That was a really special blog!

thats how i felt about December as a child growing up, it meant swimming lessons, hot sun, outdoor sports, and Christmas followed by 6 weeks of school holidays. Christmas Crafts at school, secret santas and christmas treats prepared by the teachers...and even a father Christmas look alike coming to visit...

Im finally feeling like i am living in Adelaide...not just visiting...