Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Danger!

Don't mix bleach and ammonia

I casually mentioned to my mom that I was mopping my floor this morning with bleach and ammonia water and she freaked out. This was 3 hours after I was finished, so I was obviously fine, at work, and I hadn't passed out.
I did some research and discovered that this is such a deadly combination that it was used as a weapon in WW2.
The chlorine gas is trying to get an extra molecule and it literally will rip it from your body. The gas tears into your nasal passages, trachea, and lungs by causing massive cellular damage.
I also solved a mystery this morning.
I am a clean freak. I got to China and was absolutely disgusted by the mold and grime so I made what I thought was a super chemical, bleach and ammonia mixed. I cleaned for like two days straight with such concentrated amounts of this mix that I would become light headed and have to lay down or go outside. This was one of the first spells of thinking that I was going to die. I remember not being able to breathe at all, laying on my bed, and feeling like my lungs, throat, and sinuses were on fire and racing. They felt like they were throbbing and at a pace slightly different than my heart beat, so it seemed like my heart was dropping. The rest of the time I continued to use this chemical and fought pneumonia twice, and it took really, until a few months ago before I felt better, but still not even as strong as I was before. Here's proof:

I looked back at something I had written and it said, "How can I explain the weakness, my cough, inability to breathe, throwing up, etc. to a Chinese doctor?" These are all symptoms of inhaling chlorine gas.
Anyway, the moral of the story is that I now know not to do this anymore. I praise God that I have been fine while doing something so dangerous.
Praise God! and don't mix bleach with ammonia.

3 comments:

Cindi Koceich said...

Wow Noel...I'm so grateful that you're okay and that you know the source of being so sick now!!! I remember when I learned not to mix ammonia & bleach. Madison was a year old and thank goodness I asked my mom if that would make a good cleaner for cleaning the very old house we were moving in to.

Ann Hastings said...

WOW- I am SO glad you're ok and nothing was harmed!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this! In high school I had Chemistry at 7 a.m., and I would doze off occasionally, and one time I zoned back in right as I heard her say "two household chemicals that when combined can be deadly." I was too embarrassed to ask her to repeat it though because she hated me. Now I know!