Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ten O'Clock Bedtime



By 10:00 Patrick is in bed. By 10:01 (or as soon as he puts his iphone down) he is breathing steadily --totally asleep.


This is new for us, thanks to his job that begins at 6am, requiring a 4:45-5:15 wake up (depending on the number of subconscious 'snoozes' he indulges). This has been the most wonderful addition to my life because when he gets up I go to bed all over again. Terrific, isn't it? -the sensation of going to bed TWICE in one night? I don't mean the awful feeling of waking up at 2am to get water, go to the bathroom, or to battle insomnia, then shuffling back to bed to resume your dream. No, I mean the initial hitting the down-filled sack, pulling the cozy comforter to your chin, and cuddling into bed when you are exhausted feeling.




For most of my life I've battled some form of insomnia. As I prefer more specific explanations, it's more of a lay awake and worry about every possible thing fest, for a few hours, until in the midst of delirium, tears, pacing, and the lights on, it's suddenly morning, and you realize that you are waking up -something must have "force quit" around 2am.


Lately I've been better, but I need a special routine to help. I get into bed, Patrick falls asleep. That is step 1, and it is revolutionary. Trying to get into bed at the same time with the intention of both sleeping is nuts, because he's out in minutes, a blatant taunt of what could be, but that is not for me, nor ever has been or will be. He sleeps, and I try to get sleepy by writing or reading thoughtfully boring books. That's step 2. This usually works because I don't lay in the dark worrying about falling asleep and any other possible thing. I get sleepy, and when my eyes start to close I snuggle into the covers, flick off the light, and sleep is minutes away.


Here comes the awesome part. At 4:45 or whenever, I wake up with an upset stomach (thank you GERD), sore back, cramped muscles from tossing around, trying to get comfortable in bed -I've always hated to sleep in beds; They are so uncomfortable. I grab my extra twin-sized down comforter, my fluffy pillow, and a blanket, move to the cold living room couch, and nestle down, put my earplugs in, and instantly my GERD, muscles, and mind are at ease, and I fall asleep for another few hours to wake up later in my sunny, bright living room.


As I finish this post (in bed) I'm trying not to think about the job looming on my horizon, or the incantation "you're getting verrry sleeepy," because I will cherish this time as long as it is a gift, and mine to have. What a sweet way to learn that sleeping is not all bad!


No comments: