
Oh coffee... In spite of being overly cautious when it comes to some things, my sense of adventure isn't usually far behind, and it manifests in the most unusual ways. For example, I have abstained from drinking coffee for nearly six months, since the caffeine in even decaffeinated coffee is known to aggravate anxiety, ADHD, and other prevailing symptoms that challenge my life daily. Tuesday morning I wandered into Sprouts, and on a whim chose to buy a small amount of flavored decaf coffee. I glanced for less than a second at my favorite flavor, Hawaiian Hazelnut, and then, for an unknown reason I began to fill my bag with dark chocolate something (see, I don't even know the flavor!). When the scent began to waft up from the bag after the first few beans were deposited I was affronted by the almond/cherry essence, but rather than stopping the cascade I mentally shrugged, justifying that it might, hopefully would, grow on me.
So, my impromptu purchase of coffee for the first time in months turned into a flavorful adventure, and in the end I think it's horrible. I can hardly stand to sip it, yet I find myself continuing to believe that each new taste, followed by cringing, might just be THE one to finally delight my pallet. Until then I will sip, and wince, until it is finished.
Cheers!
P.S. While sniggering at a PTA meeting occurring at this moment just outside of my office, complete with "Mrs. PTA Mom would like to propose a motion"... "Any seconds," "All in favor say 'I'," resounding "I." "Motion accepted," I took a drink of my coffee and poured it all over my face and down the front of myself, while many were watching. You could say justice was served.
No comments:
Post a Comment