Friday, June 23, 2006

108

Summer in California's Central Valley
- 108 degrees
- You wake up and instead of putting on clothes; you put on your bathing suit. Unless you have to go somewhere and then you take a cold shower, have wet hair, and no make-up. It's the all natural, not the melted make-up popsicle look.
- Food consists of fresh fruit for pretty much every meal. I had berry pie for breakfast. I don't really like pie at all, but it was good and not very sweet. Cooking with the oven or stove is not an option because of the heat that they emit. Mostly people just barbeque, not grill, but barbeque everything with or without barbeque sauce.
- Sleeping is impossible, until you get used to it. My dad doesn't really like to use the air conditioner so you sweat or bring a spray water bottle to mist yourself when it gets unbearable and under the fan it feels amazing!
- Praise God that there aren't mosquitoes or chiggers!
- Movie theaters and malls are havens for bored kids on summer vacation and also for everyone else that is too hot to be anywhere else. I prefer the fourth floor of the library.
- I think that athletic activity of any kind other than swimming is a health risk, not only because of the heat but because the air quality is extremely unhealthy. At times during the school year children are restricted from going out to recess.
- I love summer nights. Crickets (but not an infestation like in Abilene last summer in my dorm room, they like to stay hidden) Laying on a blanket in the grass with glow-stick glasses, looking at the stars, and just talking with God. It is one of my most favorite things, and then I float in the pool for about 20 minutes and go to bed.
Today is supposed to be 108. Tomorrow will be 110.

Oh, and I get to go backpacking next weekend to Chittenden Lake. I'm really excited!

No comments: