So imagine if you were able to fly for the first time in your life and it had always been a dream to just jump from your roof and smile as you float, giddy and excited through the air...
So that was me, a smiling running fool giggling as I watched things pass and prancing along, skipping, sprinting, jogging, turning backward, and all with a silly little grin as I continued to take free and large breaths on my three mile journey.
I have asthma. Excercise-induced asthma actually. I was diagnosed last week; how silly does this sound, "I get winded when I exercise and I promise it's not because I'm out of shape."
It's a real condition that blood concentrates to your airways and fills with mucus etc. (I'm not sure of all the details yet) making you unable to breathe because you gasp and it's heavy and you get light-headed and pass out (it happened to me only a few times).
I never understood from elementary school what my problem was and why I always thought I would die at the end of running the required physical fitness mile. I resigned myself to being the loser, last place runner girl, and was called that sometimes.
I finally started to take it seriously more recently when I realized that I'm smart enough to put some facts together:
1) For over 10 years I have ridden my bike at least 5 miles a day in addition to walking/running 2-5, and doing sit-ups, and push-ups to build muscle a few times a week.
2) Running 1/2 mile made me want to pass out and I was gasping for air. The same as after 15 miles on my bike.
Hmmmm.
I called the doctor and tonight I took my first puff of relief and in the 38 degree foggy night I was happily in my own concentrated world, the world of running and not looking back, of lights and houses and sounds whizzing by...it was the BEST high and release I have ever experienced from exercise and with each plunge of my foot on concrete I took another deep breath and exhailed praise. It is a miracle and I am free to run.
My only question now would be a professional answer to this:
The recommendation for people with this condition is to limit and control exercise and regulate these workouts with the inhaler. It is not supposed to be puffed more that 4 times a week and so that means only four hard workouts. Should I plan around the inhaler, or should I only use it for emergencies and continue to stay away from running even though I love it now?
2 comments:
Mike has activity induced asthma too. He doesn't limit his exercise. There are some days where he has to take his inhaler more than once. He's been using it since he was in junior high. Mike said that he needs to go to the dr. and get long-term asthma control (once a day pill). Then he won't have to use the inhaler as much.
Are we gonna get to hear from you again before the big day?!?!? I keep checking for posts...but I guess you're too busy enjoying your time with Patrick to tell us about it ;) lol
Post a Comment