Yesterday I went to a strength training class with my friend Kim at the local gym in Belmont shore. Until she invited me on a one week pass last Thursday I had never been into a gym, except for the small exercise rooms in hotels.
The Belmont gym is converted from an old theater that was part of historic downtown in the early to mid 1900s. The structure of the building alone reflects dance studios, a stage, and balcony-level seats that are now converted into a unique, rather quaint layout with tiered-level workout spaces --although, this is somewhat unforgiving on tight leg muscles after a spinning class or several sets of squats and lunges!

I love the three classes that I've been to. My stereotype of a gym was of blond, skinny girls in sports bras and stretchy pants on ellipticals; of course brunettes were there too, but usually lifting 50lb weights for a few repetitions before benching more than the hulky man next to her. She was shortish, and bulging --think Jillian Michaels.
No, no, gyms were not for me. Oddly enough, Kim and I have been the youngest members of each class --by far! It's delightfully encouraging to see older men and women sweating and groaning right next to me. In fact, at the point when I strain the hardest to keep going it's their endurance that makes me smile so big I almost laugh outright. Their faces pinched in pain, the movements modified for their abilities, and the stubborn commitment make me so glad to be with a group concerned about health, and fueled by determination that has only come through years and years of character.
And also, Kim is a powerhouse. She keeps me going, and believes in my health and wellness more than I do. I love spending this time with her.
All of this brings me to my point. I am considering, for the first time in my life (something that I never ever thought I would consider), joining a gym! That's all.

Oh, and I need to admit that tank tops, yoga pants, and other work-out wear are out of my comfort zone, and will therefore be a challenge to gyming (can I make this a verb?). Some of you will recall a time in my life when I would wear three shirts (modesty and tightness at the core of that decision). Yesterday I wore three tank-tops and a hoodie, compelled to take the jacket off only because I was sweating so heavily. I need to get a grip. And, if you are reading this as a parent, perhaps be aware that teaching your children to be modest can turn into a phobia.

No comments:
Post a Comment