Patrick was planting a row of carrots in the garden while I fertilized and watered the potted lemon tree. I heard the front gate latch, and thought it odd because, unless we're expecting guests, no one comes into our backyard. I balanced on the wooden planter to see above the fence and saw a confused looking young guy walking back. I looked to Patrick, my brows furrowed, "Um, are you expecting someone?"
Patrick: "Yes, hey Andrew!"
The man came through the gate and presented a small brown parcel wrapped with string.
"Here's your coffee."
What I didn't know is that we are patrons of Rose Park Coffee Roasters. A two-man coffee roasting company, Rose Park is two men, aspiring entrepreneurs and coffee-enthusiasts who work with Martin Deidrich of Deidrich roasters to make quality, freshly roasted coffee beans, hand-delivered by bicycle.
I know, cool, right? It's like the milk man lives again. We had a quick conversation, gave him a tour of the garden; he met the rabbits, and after telling us that the beans had been roasted today but mature on the third day, he nodded, smiled, and was off.
I have yet to brew and savor the lovely-smelling beans, but I'm already a loyal customer. Perhaps that means I am susceptible to retro-vintage marketing techniques, but if that means that I know who pockets my money, and who has labored with passion and tight hamstrings to make my morning coffee --gladly!
No comments:
Post a Comment