
I remember bear hugs. My dad would walk in from work and I would go straight to his arms running and giggling. He swept me up and put his huge arms around all of me until all that I could smell was him; all that I could feel was warmth from him, and I was in my Daddy's arms. I think that God created bear hugs for fathers and their little girls. A bear hug drowns out the world as the warmth, comfort, and protection of a father's arms wrap you so tightly and close to their heart with their protection and love.
Today I need a bear hug. I am overwhelmed and scared by life and feel alone at college without my family, who I know love me no matter what. My fingers are cold as I'm typing, my heart is lonely, and I'm sad. I stood down by the lake today overpowered by the wind as I let it blow over me chilling me, overpowering me, and taunting me with its freedom. I no longer want to be alone and bound by fear about everything, which seems to be a reoccuring theme in my life. I wanted a hug today at that moment when the wind blew against me; a physical bear hug from my father that would cloud out the coolness of life and loneliness and fill my heart with a joy, comfort, and peace of protection and hope. I did not have my father's arms or any human arms of comfort, and I wanted to cry.
I realize now as I sit here that the bible uses a special term for God at times, Abba, meaning Daddy. Perhaps earthly bear hugs are so wonderful because they reflect the bear hugs that God can give. Maybe they are special between fathers and daughters and God wants to wrap His arms of love and protection around me and just love me, warming me from the inside out. I long to be encircled by loving arms from my father to be sheltered and warmed by him.
God, please hold me close to your heart. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment