
Did you know that you need to sing the ABC song as you wash your hands to clean them properly? I didn't either, but I learned it today at work. I work in a two story building with two staircases, 260 rooms, and four bathrooms. My "office" has a window with a view of the air conditioning unit on the roof. It is very charming when you press your face against the glass and peer through the sliver between the wall and the machine and you can see a few leaves of the top of a tree. Occasionally I can see a bird, or at least its feathers after it hits the window or flies into the air conditioner, I'm not ever quite sure what happens. It is interesting what I do. I sit in silence at a computer and copy and forward emails from the Dean's office. The Dean of the school of education is my dad, so I can't really complain about my job because I guess he's the one that makes all of the work, but I get $8.50 to copy emails every hour and no one really cares what I eat or who I talk to on the phone while I do my job because I get it all done at record speed. I have to smile a lot at people who come to view me like a zoo animal. "Are you the Dean's daughter? Wow, I've never seen a Dean's daughter before. Your so clean, oh how cute you are, aren’t you the one with the sweetheart that is in China? she looks just like her dad." It's good to know that I am approved of or provide entertainment for wayward faculty as they roam the halls trying to look busy. It also boosts my self-esteem to be told that I look like a 49 year old man with peppered gray hair and bushy dark eyebrows. Don't get me wrong, for an older male I suppose that my dad is attractive, but not someone that I like to be compared to in appearance. I eat dinner mints that I sneak from my dad's office since I don't have time for lunch and I work with my best friend in Bakersfield, Colbie. Her mom works there too so we go to her office to take a break sometimes or to use her disinfectant wipes on the phone that I share with someone else that wears a lot of make-up and well, most just doesn't stay on her face, it kind of piles up on the receiver of the phone in our office.
I miss my old life, but I guess this is only temporary. Summer school starts next week. Yeah!
I feel ready for the next part of life, but I have to remember that this is life, there isn't a next part without a current stage and I don't want to wish it away and miss something. Yes, I dislike my office job and I would like to be having fun with Patrick at camp riding jet skis and driving ski boats, hanging out with kids, talking about God, etc. but this is my life right now. I feel like I should change my name to Mildred or Percy A. Watkins, it seems fitting for a secretary. Perhaps I can roleplay while I am there and turn it into something fun.
Sorry that this was a cynical post. I have so much more to say that is positive and that will come later. Until then, Percy is late for college group.
1 comment:
Noel-
I have several things to say, so I'll just list them to avoid a lenthy message:
-i can totally relate to the boring office summer job- you totally nailed it with comparing yourself to a zoo animal, i feel much the same, i will say im jealous of your window
-your blogs always make me laugh!
-reading your description of your dad makes me miss your house and our adventurous travels
-call me soon so we can catch up! peeez?!
-luv ya
Post a Comment