Saturday, July 08, 2006

Down with ebay sharks!

I have ALWAYS been an eBay skeptic. How can you really know what you are getting, whether or not a person is telling the truth, and in light of this, faithfully just transfer your money throughout the world hoping that someday a package will arrive in return. No, not for me.
I find that times of desperation, or I guess desire lead you to make considerations that would not originally be made.
I dropped my digital camera about a month ago. It wasn't fancy, just a 3 year old Sony Cybershot camera. To replace the lens, which is what I ruined, would cost $180.00. The camera is no longer available so I looked into getting a new one. The one that would be the most effective as a basic point and shoot digital camera with some quality is $199.00. Problem. I don't have $199.00 to spend on a new camera, especially if it isn't any nicer than the one I already had. I had given up on finding one, but I miss taking pictures especially the perspective that a lens brings to ordinary life. I decided to look on eBay.
There were so many cameras that I was overwhelmed. I narrowed it down to either a Cannon or a Sony and I found one that was like the one I had but had a two year upgrade, 20 minutes left in the auction, and it was only $68.00. I bid, racing another bidder to $90.00 where I set my limit. For a confident 19 minutes and 30 seconds I had the highest bid and I was going to get my new camera for $102.00 with shipping costs! I was so so excited as the last 30 seconds approached and instantly I was outbid by what I would like to call an eBay shark and they closed the auction for $91.00.
What the heck! That is so not nice. I would think people would be more polite than that. It's like cutting someone off so badly that they run off of the road or like leading someone on and then breaking their heart, it is absolutely horribly disappointing!
I am through with eBay and I'm ready to wait for my camera until I can afford one and I will appreciate it more because I have worked for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are called Ebay snipers.

Staci said...

You should try it sometime! That's the best way to win an auction on Ebay!