
I was here...
Reading this:
"We can differentiate the main verb of the sentence (sits) from others by signals like the relative pronoun that, which warns us to interpret the following verb as part of a relative clause 'that we own' and not as the main verb in the sentence. 'That we own' is a relative clause identifying which house is being discussed; as such, it is part of the subject, not part of the predicate."
I cannot find the will to sit and learn these rules for speaking English. It does not compute. I know that moving in third grade I missed the units on multiplication and basic grammar. In seventh grade, Mr. Stott let us bet on the college basketball finals instead of teaching us about pronouns and prepositional phrases. Now, I am lost. Dr. Bennett calls grammar and language a forest subject; we aren't looking at individual trees, but we are observing the forest. What happened to the 'hug a tree' concept when you are lost? No one is coming to find me!
No comments:
Post a Comment