Friday, October 07, 2005

"Run and Don't Look Back"


Run...run...run...and don't look back!
As I picked up speed, my thoughs began to fly away until all that occupied my mind was the patterned thump of my feet hitting the ground as I ran harder and harder. Run...run...run....
This afternoon it finally came. I have been waiting for this small orange notebook for three weeks because it has changed me, and now it was official. New Hope International is an organization that invests in the growth and maturity of christians and the life journal is a resource that I have been recently introduced to. Each day, there are two passages of scripture. For example Day 1: Genesis 1 and Matthew 1. Day 2: Genesis 2 Matthew 2 etc. You read each section with the intent of listening for God's voice in His word. At the end of the reading that takes just a few minutes, you reflect on the parts that you have underlined and write a short statement about what God has taught you or desires for you to understand. At the end a short prayer is written, and then the section is given a title and a topic. You can write these at the beginning of the journal and it becomes a written record of how God has spoken to you, and revealed His direction and presence in your life.
Today, I titled my section "Run and Don't Look Back".
God tells the rich man to leave all that he has and to follow Him wholeheartedly. He takes Lot, litterally "by the hand", and pulls him from Sodom telling him not to look back.
I went running for an hour tonight. It was in the 50's, I was sweating, but I had to run faster and faster so that I wouldn't be tempted to look back and give up. Seven weeks seems long, but essentially, it is just the beginning. I have just begun to run from the things I have surrendered. Run...run...run...and don't look back.
I read Jim Elliot's journal tonight, and he wrote of longing for you God to fill him. It is not so foreign to feel alone, but in these times I need to cling more tightly to God and run. Tomorrow is Jim Elliot's Birthday. He died running.

No comments: