
My face was red. I single handedly lost the first game of 88 for my entire team. However, I was not to be put off by Dean's "game face" so I drew my dominos with a fierceness and came back to play all of the scoring dominos for our winning rounds in the second game. Thelma was a bit put off, by Colonel just smiled and stole Gladys' ruler. Ah, to be old and feisty...
Now, I'm back in my room, a bit sad because I don't have many friends and after calling almost all of them, nobody was available for a quick walk or visit, so I have resorted to my new favorite past-time: standing on my hands and thinking while listening to music. Tonight, Ben Harper accompanies my thoughts...
First time that I saw her she had white doves in her eyes
She spoke to me but I could not reply,
She was a stranger I had known for years
She brought to me so many smiles and tears, smiles and tears
The two hands of a prayer
Together like the two hands of a prayer
Ah, an allusion to Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet. His lyrics mirror the pilgrim's hands that Romeo and Juliet refer to.
Literature is powerful. It creates such an inquisitive mind. Why did Romeo and Juliet like each other? Was it based upon appearance? Is there something deeper, like "love at first sight"? Why are so many songs about love? If we are to devote ourselves wholly to God's service, then how does love for another person fit into the picture? We cannot serve like Paul or John the Baptist or Jesus or Mother Teresa when a family is involved, or you would be involving your whole family in this service. What is the extreme Christian life?
God has called me to be extreme at this point in my life by hearing Him speak. Reading C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, has allowed me to know that there is a voice of opposition actively speaking into our lives daily. For me to live extremely is to discern the voice of God and the promptings of the Holy Spirit and obey, whether it is to serve others through actions, to calm my mind and pray about a situation, or to calm emotion and rising fear and allow truth to permeate my life. An extreme christian life for me, is not one of service, or rest, or piety only, it is a constant communion with God, and a life led by the voice of the Lord, and the prompting of the spirit.
Airgo, (I used that word in honor of Shakespeare) it requires that I read the bible daily, every morning!!! I need to surround myself with people, and I need to tune my mind and heart to God throughout the day.
So, my head is bright red from being upside down as I was thinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment