Thursday, May 25, 2006


So this may be an unusual post. However, I like it.
I was standing in my mom's room talking with her this morning as she put on her make-up. She has huge mirrors in her bathroom, two mirror closet doors, and one vanity mirror above the sink. I was playing with the muscles on my legs trying in my head to make them disappear so that I can feel more like a girl with slender legs because girls just do things like that, fiddle with their image and perception of themselves. Anyway, then I got silly and pulled the wasteband of my shorts all the way to my belly button and then sagged them super low. In this process I caught a glimpse of my underwear and I just smiled. I asked my mom, "Doesn't it just make you happy to wear cute underwear? Every time you have to go to the bathroom it gives you a reason to smile."
We sort of started to discuss underwear, a subject which generally makes me uncomfortable, but I commented how sad it is that men don't get to enjoy the simple pleasure of cute underwear and then realized the nature of the difference between "panties" and "underwear". It is like the general difference between men and women. I hate the word "panties," but it just lends to the preceeding adjective cute, a girl term. Men wear underwear. They don't take pleasure in them, they are just under-wear, not an accessory or a cute item, but a functionl wardrobe component. I think "panties" make men uncomfortable, especially cute ones.
Once I was doing laundry at Patrick's house and I needed to use the dryer but his clothes were in there, and it was the underwear load. He asked me to help him fold them but I thought it was gross even though they were just boxers and not man panties (I don't intend to offend men who wear the other kind, I think they are called briefs, but they just make me squeemish because they look like large white panties; man panties). Anyway I realized by viewing his boxers that they too come in various colors with paterns, shapes, and screen printed images. Men have cute underwear too! Or I guess I will call them cool.
The point of this post is to appreciate life's simple pleasures like cute panties and cool boxers. Take a look and smile.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I hear they have european cut underwear for men that steal their style from girls. Does that make you uncomfortable?